7.19.2004

Hated Because of Great Qualities

Today's sad song is Blonde Redhead Hated Because of Great Qualities and I've added a bonus Blonde Redhead song I Still Get Rocks Off.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Blonde Redhead seems like an odd combination at first. Hell, they look like an odd combination. I mean, would you listen to a song by people who take photos like that?

But these two Italian twin brothers Simone and Amedeo Pace and Japanese singer Kazu Makino have a style that is distinct, original and refreshing. In the past few months they have easily become my favorite band.

They've been around a decade so that should tell you something about my musical knowledge, but I can easily count over 20 songs of theirs that I like. I know of no other band that has that many songs I like.

I love this girls voice. In the first song it is slow and sad and beautiful just like in many other of their songs. But many of their songs are upbeat and her voice in them is upbeat, sad and beautiful. Ok, maybe she doesn't sound sad all the time, she can sound quite fun in some songs as well, but her voice has a certain resolve to it, a reserved yearning that you can't quite put your finger on. A high pitched emotional soprano, yet whispered in such a way that it becomes smooth as silk. It seems like she really needs to explode and scream and cry at the world but instead, she holds back all her energy and sings as softly as she can and it comes out beautiful.

In Still get Rocks Off, she does let loose and we are treated to the full barrage of Kazu Makino's talented voice. In it, at around 2:05, she does what can best be described as screaming like a demented banshee having sex. The kind of thing that would kill your throat if you tried it. A total scream where your tonsils are beating against your throat in a sort of high frequency vibratory orgasm that you feel for hours afterward. (And um, please forget that I used the words orgasm and throat in the same sentence...k-plz-thx)

Is that talent? Well, I certainly can't do it and I bet you cant either. And even if we could, we couldn't make it sound as well as she does. I don't normally like a song that screams at me, but dammit, this one works. They all do. They not only work but you want to scream alongside her. I Am There While You Choke On Me contains another example of this as does Mother to some extent, and they're all great.

Oh, and one of the guys, Amedeo, sings on a lot of songs and he's good too.

Buy Blonde Redhead albums at Amazon

Visit their site at the 4ad label and check out Blonde Redhead's homepage and read more about them at Epitonic then finally wander over to Six Eyes where a couple other Blonde Redhead songs have been blogged recently, including one in French. Yes, one half of a pair of Italians and a Japanese singing in French, I think Nostradamus predicted this.


Hated Because of Great Qualities.mp3
Secret so sorry that I forgot
Secret secret we're all bound to forget.
I was worried I might be rude to you.
So worried that I was.
It's a lie to serve the truth
And I'm still guilty.
I missed. so be it.
Everywhere everything you ever touched.
Cutting in won't do it. there's nothing to it.
You were sorry that I was alone
So sorry that you run away.
Putting it on me but you already knew it.
It never meant a thing.
So be it.
I can't understand this at all.
I can't pronounce this at all.
These are different matters
These are uncertain feelings
They should never be discussed here
So keep it to yourself



Still Get Rocks Off.mp3
Am I?
Am I to be paid?
But I have to?
Could I try to?
Do I have to?
..I still get rocks off

Am I?
Am I to be plain?
But I need to?
Could I get to?
Do I have to?
I'll be alright
..I still get rocks off

and it's so inviting the world
phrases song
and it's so inspiring
that it might be all wrong
that I can seem to be alone
so long as you are gone

Am I?
Am I to be blamed?
But I need to?
Do I have to?
Could I get to?
I'll be almost good
..I still get rocks off

and it's so inviting the world
phrases song
and it's so inspiring
that it might be all wrong
that I can seem to be alone
so long as you are gone

aahhh
Long gone
Now I know
I know how to call

You want

Am I?
Am I to be blamed?
But I need to?
Do I have to?
Could I get to?
I'll be almost good
..I still get rocks off

and it's so inviting the world
phrases song
and it's so inspiring
that it might be all wrong
that I can seem to be alone
so long as you are gone



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?