8.26.2004

Dream Plane, Blackbird Fly Away

No, I'm not talking about flying away in everyone's dream airplane the SR-71 Blackbird:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Instead, I'm talking about two songs by fellow Tennessean Serena Matthews, Dream Plane and Blackbird Fly Away.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Maybe you've heard these before because she says in her biography that she started uploading songs on mp3.com in 2001 and had over 100,000 downloads by the time they shut down in 2003. But I first heard them a few days ago so here they are.

I'm not sure what you'd call her music, but it's sort of folk rock with a touch of country. To me, she sort of sounds like what Joanna Newsom might sound like in 10 years if her voice calms down a bit and she becomes more conventional. Whatever you call it, Serena's voice is as beautiful as she is.

She's got a blog, a website and her albums are available for a mere $8.50 apiece so there's no excuse, simply no excuse, for you to be sitting there with $8.50 still in your pocket when music like this is but a click away.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Serena Matthews - Blackbird Fly Away.mp3

Like a broken basketball
on a dirty backyard court,
I was unable to roll away
but I have air now

Up this ladder, I keep climbing
trying to reach a little farther
dig my hands into the water
breaking up the storm
(and there she goes)

[chorus]
Blackbird, fly away
into the hollow sky
Blackbird, take me with you
'cause I can't fly
I'll hold on tightly
(but I can't fly)

Looking up , I reach out
stealing falling feathers
as they tumble to the ground
it's strange how they
work so well for you
while slowing me down
(blackbird, I envy you)

(repeat chorus)

I could leave here on my own
if my heart was not so heavy
maybe you can teach me
how to swim in the sky

Blackbird, fly away
into the hollow sky
Blackbird, take me with you
'cause I can't fly
I'll hold on tightly

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Serena Matthews - Dream Plane.mp3

Wasn't long ago we said we'd get away
said we'd pack up all our dreams and go away
said we'd fly to Venus when the next star came our way
seems like only yesterday we said

put me on a plane, fly me to a place
where the Heavens know my name
on a dream plane we're safe and warm
because the angels share their wings

sometimes when the sun falls down
I see the milky way and wonder
what their dreams are like up there

put me on a plane fly me to that place
where the Heavens know my name
on a dream plane we're safe and warm
where the angels share their wings

and even though I know it's just a dream
I still hold on to hope that one day
we'll pack our things and fly away
on that plane, on a dream plane
fly me where the Heavens know my name

on a dream plane fly me to a place
where the angels know my name
on a dream plane, safe and warm
where the angels share their wings





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?