12.21.2004

I hate it when I'm right


BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - An explosion ripped through a mess tent at a military base near Mosul where hundreds of U.S. troops had just sat down to lunch Tuesday, and officials said more than 20 people were killed and at least 57 were wounded.

A military spokesman said 19 of the dead were American soldiers, which would make the attack the deadliest single strike against U.S. troops since the start of the Iraq war. A radical Muslim group, the Ansar al-Sunnah Army, claimed responsibility.
I've been predicting a large strike like this for over a year. Actually I was predicting a barracks bombing that took 100 or more lives, so I'm damn glad I wasn't right about that.

I thought that if it happened it would be a turning point in the war. Now I'm really not so sure. Everyone in the world, even Bush, seems to agree that things aren't going very well over there, but everyone is impotent to change anything. Bush seems so set on this policy of training Iraqis to take over the security that we ourselves, with our almost unlimited resources, can't provide, that it's hard to see him changing the plan.

Poor Bush. If he just hadn't started his 20 year drinking binge in the 60s he'd realize that we tried this in Vietnam. It didn't work then, and it's not going to work now.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?