10.03.2005

UnGoogleables


Cool story in Wired about people who have names that don't appear in Google searches.

Although I've been online since about '95, I'm one of these unGoogleables. This is why I post here under the initials "JM". Are they my initials, or am I a big fan of Jackson, Michael? You don't know do you?

It's never taken much effort, I've simply never posted to a newsgroup or email list or anywhere under my real name. I think my interest in cryptography helped fuel this attitude of anonymity, plus the exposure to Vernor Vinge's True Names early on in my internet days probably didn't hurt, and when I realized that my name didn't appear on Google a few years ago, I actively started trying to keep it out. It's never been out of paranoia, and certainly there are enough "cribs" around that my name could be found out with a little effort, but why give out personal information if you don't have to?

So, to the readers who actually know my name.. if you tell, I will hire a band of gypsies to curse you, and curse you good.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?