11.24.2005

vrrrrroooommmm


That's the sound of my new smoking hot computer.

sssssuuuuuuuuuuu... boom

That's the sound of me throwing it out the window if I don't get Linux running on it. Yes, dear reader, I am currently coming to you live from Windoze XP.

gasp

SLackware works great except for one simple little matter, dma. I can't, for the life of me, get dma working on either the new 200gig or my 'old' 160gig hard drive because Linux doesn't yet support my chipset. It's like having a hard drive full of syrup which causes KDE to lock up every 10 seconds.

In some ways I'm on the bleeding edge of technology, and in other ways I'm years behind. This is the first time I've really used windows XP. I've borrowed a computer to look up something in a spreadsheet program at work a few times, but I've never actually used anything except Linux for the past 5 years. But I had been wanting it for a while to run some windoze-only apps.

Now that I'm sort of stuck with it for the moment, all I can say is... overrated. What's with all these buttons in the taskbar I can't get rid of? Safely remove hardware? Just pull the plug! Windows security alerts? Isn't that an oxymoron? It feels like such a kid's toy after using a truly powerful system for 5 years or trading in my Jeep for a Geo tracker.

Oh well, I should be working on the dma instead of whining...



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?